Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Hikanoo: Brighter than the sun

Summer Writing Challenge



HikaNoo: Brighter than the sun



Stop me on the corner
I swear you hit me like a vision
I, I, I wasn't expecting
But who am I to tell faith where it's supposed to go with it?



Passing by strangers, both young and old, some giving him peaceful and sweet smiles, some simply nodding at him, some ignoring him at all. Among those people Hikaru came across to, he loved those who are too busy, immersed in the presence of their loved ones to notice him at all. He would admit it, he quite like the attention on him his friends used to say came from his undeniably attention-grabbing aura and smile, but he loved seeing people in love more that he loved that attention. He saw a young couple pushing their young son in the swing as he turned around the corner that led to the park. He smiled as he passed by them and he saw the young child grin at him and gave him a peace sign. He laughed out loud. If people in this place are this friendly, he wouldn't mind making this his permanent jogging route, besides the Sakura trees that lined this particular path are really beautiful, with the sunlight passing through the thick leaves just in the right amount that you could enjoy basking in it. Unlike in the previous path wherein it's too hot and there are too many students glaring or flirting with each other for him to actually enjoy his morning jogs. Only, this path is farther from the University but he's jogging anyway so what's the difference a few blocks make? 



As Hikaru continued on his jog waving his hand to the child and smiling at the couple, he saw another man jogging a few meters in front of him. He wasn't so sure why but he got curious with the man even though it was just his back that he saw but he felt a different aura coming from the man that made him quite relax. The slender man in front of him with black curly hair that rest at the nape of his neck wore a black jogging pants quite similar to what Hikaru wore and a blue rubber shoes and gray shirt. Sweat are visible from his gray shirt, the man then pulled something from his pocket and tied his hair revealing his creamy white nape that made Hikaru blush by the thought of looking at a man and observing something so intimate without even knowing what the man looked like.

Don't you blink you might miss it
See we got a right to just love it or leave it
You find it and keep it
Cause it ain't every day you get the chance to say..



Hikaru decided to slow down his pace and match the man's pace to continue observing. He saw a girl wave and smile at the man and he saw the man waved back at her and continued on. Hikaru saw the girl blush and looked longingly at the man's back. Hikaru smiled at himself thinking that the man must be handsome indeed for a pretty girl to smile like that. When he looked back at the man he saw him standing at the side of the path talking to an elderly couple and saw the old lady give him an apple. Hikaru realized that he was at rest in the middle of the path gaping like a fish so he pretended to fix his shoe lace waiting for the man to continue on his path. For a while he got scared that the man would finally stop there without giving him the chance to actually talk to him. That thought struck Hikaru, 'When did I actually start planning to talk to him?' grimacing, he finally stood up just in time for the man to resume his previous pace. They were turning a corner when suddenly the man increased his pace into a full run that left Hikaru unconsciously running after him. When he turned the corner, he saw the man standing in the side of the path looking at the lake before him. He shook his sweaty hair and the hair band feel without him noticing and he continue to walk on the grass and sat by the lake. Hikaru pick up the band and tried to catch his breath and followed the man.


Oh this is how it starts, lightning strikes the heart
It goes off like a gun, brighter than the sun.
Oh, it could be the stars, falling from the sky
Shining how we want, brighter than the sun.

"I believe this is yours?" Hikaru said standing beside the man. The man looked up at him and suddenly grinned. The man was not handsome as Hikaru thought..he was beautiful. He has porcelain white skin and perfect nose and sensual thin lips, but what caught Hikaru's attention more was the brown eyes that seemed to be expecting his presence.

"Ahh, my stalker. Yes that's mine." The man said with an expecting smile and reached for the band.

"Eh?!" Hikaru asked bewildered, blushing by the thought of being caught.

"Are you not the one piercing his gaze at me since earlier? If I am a butter then I would be well melted now." The man grinned.

"Not that it's a bad thing though, is it?" He added patting the grass beside him motioning for Hikaru to sit down. Hikaru sat down with a blush still on his face while silently berating himself for staring too much at the same time admiring the beautiful face and front of him almost in disbelief that he got to talk to that mysterious person he was so interested since earlier.

"I'm sorry for staring..I'm Yaotome Hikaru." Hikaru introduced himself thinking that he could actually remove that "stalker" label on him if he properly introduced himself.

"Ahh that name sort of suit you don't you think? I'm Inoo Kei." Inoo smiled once again and finally lay down in the grass.

"Soo what have you found from your thorough observation of my back, Yaotome-san?" Hikaru managed to laugh with the sarcastic tone Inoo used.

"I'm sorry again for staring too much..well that you sort of have a very relaxing aura and that girl you waved at earlier is in love with you and that you looked pretty friendly..and that you have a pretty sensual nape..actually." Hikaru smiled as he lay down on the grass as well.

"Wow, you think so?" Inoo asked without removing his gaze at the clouds that were drifting by.

"Uh-huh." Hikaru answered. They settled into a comfortable silence with Inoo watching the clouds pass by and Hikaru thinking about the rather interesting guy beside him.


I never seen it, but I found this love I'm undefeated.
You better leave, I'm better than anything I've ever had
Cause you're so damn beautiful read it,
It's time and deliver it let's seal it.
Boy we go together like peanuts and paydays and molly and reggae. 



"So what does this beautiful person doing alone on such a fine day?" Hikaru asked leaning his elbow on the grass to get a better look at the man beside him.

"What? You mean me?" Inoo was pulled back from his reverie.

"I don't see anybody else who I would actually call beautiful, really." Hikaru answered urging him.

"Well..there's you." Inoo said with a smile.

"Me? Beautiful? I've never heard anyone use that word on me before." Hikaru laughed.

"Well there's me for a start." Inoo laughed as well.

"But to answer your question, I was alone because I just broke up with my boyfriend and best friend for years..well I'm pretty stupid really. I knew it, players will always be players in both aspect of the word."

"Well, what does he play?" Hikaru asked perked up by the term "boyfriend".

"Soccer." Inoo answered.

"Wait..is this Yabu-kun from the soccer club?" Hikaru asked assuming that Inoo is from the same university as well. Inoo gaped at him like a fish out of the water.

"H--how did you know?" Hikaru smiled and lay back once again.

"Well I assumed we're from the same university and the only one who looked like a 'player' in the soccer team was Yabu-kun. We were classmates in Humanities last semester.

"Wow, it's a pretty small world." Inoo sighed.

"Uh-huh." Hikaru answered.


Everything is like a way out, cause we shine down
Even when the light's out but I can see see you glow
Got my head up in the rafters, got me happy ever after
Never felt this way before, ain't this way before.



Hikaru was humming his new favorite song when they settled into another comfortable silence when suddenly the clouds were replaced by a wide eyed Inoo Kei.

"Was that Suit and Tie you were humming?!" He asked bewildered with a grin slowly settling on his face. Hikaru grinned back finding another similarity between them.

"You're a Justin Timberlake fan too?" Hikaru asked.

"I am! Phew! Finally someone who I could share this obsession with! Yabu used to say I'm too high maintenance that why can't I simply like other Japanese artist.." Inoo trailed off.

"Well one can't simply miss Justin's awesomeness. Especially his Grammys performance..." Hikaru said distracting Inoo from his thoughts about Yabu.

"Isn't it?!" Inoo shouted and the both of them laughed by how childish Inoo seemed. When the laughter died down, Inoo grabbed Hikaru's shoulder and looked at him.

"Ne, Hikaru..aren't you uncomfortable by the thought that I'm gay?" Inoo asked waiting for the worst.

"No, instead of uncomfortable..I would admit I felt relieved." Hikaru admitted looking at Inoo.

"Really? I mean I would be sad if you were uncomfortable..thanks, Hikaru." Inoo smiled..this time a smile that held so many promised opportunities for Hikaru.

"So that means we could hang out again next time?" Hikaru asked hopeful.

"I guess we could meet in the campus or maybe we could have coffee sometimes.." Inoo said.

"Or maybe I could just make this my permanent jogging path, don't you think?" Hikaru suggested.

"That would be the best idea." Inoo agreed.


In spite of being ultimately observant, this time Hikaru let the people pass by unnoticed. The both of them immersed in each other's presence like two people in love.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's very nice and heart-warming
I love it :)

Post a Comment