Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Figure skating with love

Michael Christian Martinez, the lone Filipino Olympian in Sochi

Unbeknownst to many, I actually have a very strong fascination when it comes to winter sports, (anything with ice really, *ehem*jackfrost*ehem*) but most especially when it comes to figure skating. It started when I watched Speck's movie, Blades of Glory staring Will Ferrell and Jon Heder back in 2007. After watching that movie, I started googling figure skating competitions and performances and ultimately fell in love with the sport (and the many figure skaters..Takahashi *ehem* totally my first crush haha!)

But due to college (as always), I have mostly forgotten about the sport because I couldn't afford to distract myself further (aside from keeping up with my current favorite, Yuzu's performances). Only for it to be revived again (and ruin my sleeping habits further) when it was announced last year that a Filipino figure skater was able to qualify to the Sochi Olympics! Imagine that! My excitement for Sochi intensified because not only will I see my favorite in the rink amongst all the veterans but a Filipino will be competing as well! (Can you imagine the immensity of that? He is the very first in the Philippines and the only in Southeast Asia!) For the first time, the Philippine flag will be represented in the Winter Olympics by a figure skater, 17 years of age from paranaque city (whom some people may have passed in the rink while skating leisurely. I wonder if I did? Noooo I skated like hahaha 2 times? So no.)

And alas, after 2 weeks of no sleep due to Sochi and empty stares in the hallways and random outburst of fluffy feelings and sudden cringing and dreams filled with dream interviews, an opportunity to see Martinez live was presented! And of course being the person who values experiences like this, I rushed to the Mall of Asia today for a chance to see him perform live!

The crowd. I was sort of expecting it.

my heart went "badump-badump" like WTH dude

I'm feeling resentful for my 50mm lens
He's got a seriously nice form, sponsors where art thou, let this bud blossom. Help him.

He seriously like this

<3

With or without the music (or a medal), kiddo, you gave me such a wonderful memory :)

I did not stay for the meet and greet anymore (my overflowing pride and joy for him will surely be conveyed by other people there and do I really need to do that? Hahaha no. I'm just a little regretful that I forgot to bring a flower to throw in the rink after the performance :( Dude, Dangwa is just a few streets away from my house -__-) But nonetheless, seeing him live just made my burning desire to watch the 2018 Winter Olympics live became stronger! Imagine that, peak of Martinez and Hanyu! Man, I could hardly wait!

See? This is why I don't like talking about figure skating and football, I can never be organized and formal while talking about these topics. HAHA.

See that? I was goofy like that for about an hour suddenly bursting out laughing my mom almost left me alone in shame.

0 comments:

Post a Comment